Learn how to add an instruction vehicle to your school, and see the requirements instruction vehicles must meet.
How to add an instruction vehicle
Follow these steps to add an instruction vehicle to your driver training school.
1. Make sure your vehicle meets the requirements
All driver training instruction vehicles must have all of the following:
- Dual controls for the foot brake
- An instructor's rear-view mirror
- Proper insurance
- An emergency kit (see below)
- A sign indicating it is an instruction vehicle (see below)
Emergency kit requirements for instruction vehicles
Instruction vehicles must have an emergency kit in the trunk that contains:
- A fire extinguisher
- A first aid kit
- An emergency strobe light
- Either a reflective triangle or 2 18-inch traffic cones
Legal requirements for signs on instruction vehicles
When you are using a school vehicle to give instruction, you must display a sign that meets the requirements outlined in RCW 46.82.360. All signs must:
- Be legible and printed in English
- Be displayed on the back or top of the vehicle (or both)
- Be at least 20 inches wide
- Be at least 10 inches tall
- Have the words "student driver," "instruction car," or "driving school" in letters at least 2.5 inches tall near the top
- Have the name and telephone number of the school in letters at least 1 inch tall under the "student driver" letters
- Have lettering and background colors that make it clearly readable from 100 feet away in clear daylight
2. Gather the required documents
You'll need all of the following
- Copy of the vehicle registration(s)
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Photo proof that your vehicle meets all the requirements listed in step 1
3. Add your vehicle
You can add an instruction vehicle online using your SecureAccess Washington account.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
4. Wait for us to approve your vehicle
We'll notify you via email when we complete our review process.
We will send you written authorization to begin using the vehicle before your annual audit inspection. You must carry this authorization in the vehicle with the registration until we complete your inspection.