Learn what to do if you purchase a driver training school.
Things to know
- If the school is a testing location, please contact us
- You must apply within 10 days of purchasing an existing school
- Allow 4 weeks for processing (You will be able to operate using the current license during this time)
How to change the owner of a driver training school
Follow these steps to change the owner of a school after you purchase it.
1. Apply for a business license
Apply for a business license on the Department of Revenue (DOR) website to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number.
2. Gather the required documents
You'll need to provide us with copies of all of the following:
- The business purchase agreement for school
- A lease for school premises
- Proof of insurance for school premises (must include the street address for the school)
- Proof of insurance for instruction vehicle(s)
- Vehicle registration information
- A packet for each non-instructor employee and/or owner
You must also provide copies of all of the following curriculum forms:
- Curriculum Cross Reference Tool
- Student record
- Behind the Wheel form
- Flow chart
- Final test and answers
3. Apply with the Department of Licensing
You can change ownership of your driver training school and pay the application fee online. You’ll need a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
4. Allow processing time
An auditor will contact you to schedule an inspection of your school and vehicles.
5. Post your license
Post all applicable licenses at your place of business before you start instructing students.