Learn who needs a funeral director license, and how to apply for one.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides care, shelter, transportation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains, including arranging and directing funeral, memorial, or other services.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to apply for your funeral director license.
1. Meet the license requirements
To get a license as a funeral director, you must meet all of the following:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete a funeral director internship*
- Take and pass the funeral director licensing exam
You must also meet at least 1 of the following education requirements:
- Have an Associate of Arts degree in Mortuary Science
- Meet the Alternative education requirements for funeral directors
- Have at least 5 years of active licensed experience in another state
*Note: An academic funeral director internship is not a licensing requirement, but something you may be able to complete for college credit while you're enrolled in a Mortuary Science program.
If you have 5 years or more of active licensed experience in another state, you don't need to meet the education requirements.
If you have less than 5 years of active licensed experience in another state, you must meet the education requirements and complete a funeral director internship.
If your home state has equivalent internship training requirements, submit proof that confirms your training to us.
2. Gather the required documents
- Official copy of your National Board scores
- Official transcripts (if you want education to be applied toward experience)
- License history and exam verifications (if you have out-of-state experience)
Submitting official documents
We only accept sealed transcripts. The issuing college or university must send them to us directly.
Have any official transcripts, National Board Scores, or license history and exam verifications sent to:
Funeral and Cemetery Board
PO Box 9012
Olympia, WA 98507-9012
3. Submit your application
Choose the method that works best for you.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying the licensing fee online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail a completed Funeral Director/Embalmer License Application with a check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing):
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777