Learn how to take the real estate managing broker exam.
Things to know
Read the information below before scheduling your exam.
Who administers the exam?
We partner with PSI Testing Excellence to offer real estate managing broker exams.
Exam approval: Upgrade your broker license
Once you're approved to take your upgrade exam, you must pass both the state and national exams within 6 months of each other. If you do not pass the 2 exams within a 6-month period, you must retake both. Be aware that:
- PSI’s system won't let you schedule a retake exam more than 6 months after passing the other exam
- If you have to reschedule an exam for any reason, you must schedule it no later than 6 months after passing the other exam
- If you take a rescheduled exam more than 6 months after passing the other exam, you will not get credit and must pay for the next combination exam
- Exam approval expires 3 years from the date you completed your courses
Exam approval: Reciprocity
If you're approved to take the reciprocity exam, you have 6 months to pass the state exam and can retake it as many times as scheduling allows. If you don't pass within 6 months, you must submit a new application and license history.
License application deadline
You must apply for your license within 1 year of passing the exams.
How to schedule an exam
Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW) or create an account to start your license application and get approved to take the exams. After we email your approval, wait 4 business days before scheduling your exams.
Schedule your exam
Once you're ready to schedule a date for your exam, choose the method below that works best for you. Detailed instructions are available in the PSI Candidate Handbook.
Schedule your exam online
You can schedule your exam online with PSI. Choose the following options on their website:
- Real Estate
- Washington Real Estate Examination Program
- Select the correct exam for you
- Managing Broker Examination (Choose this option if we approved you to upgrade your broker license.)
- Managing Broker Level C Examination (Choose this option if we approved you to take the Alternate Qualifications Managing Broker exam.)
- Managing Broker Reciprocity Examination (Choose this option if we approved you to take the reciprocity exam.)
Once you've entered the correct options, select "Register for this exam".
Schedule your exam by phone
You can call 855-746-8168 to schedule your exam by phone.
Get help with the exam
Fill out the Request for Special Examination Accommodations form in the Candidate Handbook if you need to:
- Request accommodations to take the exam
- Take the exam out of state
Mail your request form to:
18000 W 105th Street
Olathe, KS 66061-7543
What to bring to the testing center
You must bring 2 current (not expired) forms of identification with you to the testing center. They must meet the following requirements:
- They must include your current name and signature
- They must match the name on your application
- At least 1 of them must have your current photograph
If you don't bring your identification, you won't be allowed to take the exam. Visit PSI Candidate Services for more information.
Your exam results are valid for 1 year. If you don't apply for a license before your results expire, you'll have to reapply to take the exam. If you do not pass the 2 exams within a 6-month period, you must retake both.
If you fail the exam
If you fail the state or national exam, PSI will tell you how to retake it. If you fail one of the 2 exams, you'll need to retake the part you failed. If you do not pass both parts within 6 months of each other, you must take both exams again.
If you fail the state exam, PSI will tell you how to retake it. Your exam approval is good for 6 months. You cannot ask for an extension.
Retake the exam
To reschedule an exam, follow the steps above to schedule your exam, but click on “Reschedule this Exam”.