Learn how to get your license to buy and sell off-road vehicles.
You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.
Who needs a license?
You must be licensed as an off-road vehicle dealer if you:
- Sell any motorized vehicles (other than snowmobiles or watercraft) intended for use on trails or cross-country, and
- Don't have a miscellaneous vehicle dealer license
If you don't have a dealer license, it is illegal to:
- Sell more than 4 vehicles registered to you in any 12 months
- Buy and sell vehicles to make a profit
- Sell vehicles that aren't registered to you
How to apply
Follow these steps to apply for your off-road vehicle dealer license.
Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.
1. Complete the required documents
Complete these documents to apply for your business license:
You must fill out these forms for each of your business locations that sell off-road vehicles.
2. Submit your application
You must pay the off-road vehicle dealer license and plate fees when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
After you get your license
Once you have your license, you must: