Learn the requirements and how to get your license if you operate a Salon Shop, Personal Service, or Mobile Unit that offers cosmetology services.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who operates a Salon Shop, Personal Service, or Mobile Unit in Washington where Cosmetology, Barbering, Manicuring, Hair Design, Esthetics, or Master Esthetics services are performed for a fee.
- Salon Shop is any building, structure, or part thereof. This includes individuals leasing space and owners of salon shops where services are performed.
- Personal Service is any service performed in the client's home, event venue, office, or other location that's convenient for the client.
- Mobile Unit is a location where services are performed in a mobile structure (van, mobile location, etc.).
How to apply
Make sure you meet the requirements, and follow the steps below to apply for a Salon Shop, Personal Service, or Mobile Unit license.
1. Meet the requirements
To get a license to operate a Salon Shop, Personal Service, or Mobile Unit that offers cosmetology services, you must certify your business is covered by a public liability insurance policy of at least $100,000 for combined bodily injury and property damage liability.
2. File with the Department of Revenue
File a business license application with the Department of Revenue (DOR) to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number. Once you receive your UBI you can apply for your license.
3. Complete all the necessary forms
Complete a Salon Shop, Personal Service, or Mobile Unit License Application, available in the following languages:
4. Submit your application
You can submit your application online or by mail.
Submit your application online
Get your license faster by applying online!
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Submit your application by mail
Mail your form(s) and a check or money order for the license fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post these items in the reception area of your Salon Shop, Personal Service, or Mobile Unit:
- Your license
- Notice to Customers (English, Español, Русский, and more) per Salon/shop — Apprenticeship shop — Notice required (RCW 18.16.180)
Get email updates
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.