New state-wide mandate requires masks to visit our offices. Learn more.
Appointments are required for in-person services. Schedule yours now.
Get the latest COVID guidance for businesses.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Fuel licenses: Dyed diesel user

Things to know

The Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) online system is now available. It's an easier and faster way to manage your fuel tax accounts. Register your account through TAP.

Who needs a license?

You need a license if you drive on public roads or highways using special dyed fuel. Dyed diesel users are government agencies or organizations approved by us, such as:

  • Public school districts
  • Nonprofit educational organizations
  • Government agencies

How to get your license

  1. Complete a Dyed Diesel User Application.
  2. Send the completed application to the address or fax number on the form.
  3. Once we process your application, we'll send you a copy of:
    • Your license
    • Your first tax return
    • Instructions

Recordkeeping requirements

You need to keep detailed mileage records for each vehicle using dyed fuel on public roadways. These records must include on-road and off-road use on a daily basis.

How to file your tax return

Complete a Dyed Diesel Fuel User Tax Return and:

  • If you're including a payment, mail your completed return and a check to:
    Prorate and Fuel Tax
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9048
    Olympia, WA 98507-9048
  • If you're sending only your return (without a payment), mail or fax it to:
    • Mail:
      Fuel Tax Section
      Department of Licensing
      PO Box 9228
      Olympia, WA 98507-9228
    • Fax: 360.570.7839 or 360.586.9729

For more information about completing your return, see Dyed Diesel Tax Return Instructions.

Reporting due dates
Reporting period Report and payment due
January - March 2019 April 25, 2019
April - June 2019 July 25, 2019
July - September 2019 October 25, 2019
October - December 2019 January 25, 2020
January - March 2020 April 25, 2020
April - June 2020 July 25, 2020
July - September 2020 October 25, 2020
October - December 2020 January 25, 2021
January - March 2021 April 25, 2021
April - June 2021 July 25, 201
July - September 2021 October 25, 2021
October - December 2021 January 25, 2022
Late payments
If your payment isn't received by You'll owe
Due date 10% penalty on the tax owed
1st of the following month Interest of 1% per month

Refund for tax-paid non-dyed (clear) diesel

You might be eligible for a refund of the Washington State fuel tax:

  • As a non-profit or government entity who bought at least 41 gallons of Washington tax–paid fuel in the past 13 months; and,
  • You used it for off road activities like:
    • boating
    • construction
    • farming
    • logging
    • landscape/lawn maintenance
    • export
    • auxiliary equipment such as the dumping mechanism on a dump truck, or the boom on a boom truck

If you answered "Yes" to the requirements directly above, visit the Fuel Tax Refund page for more information about filing for a refund.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.664.1858

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website