Fuel licenses: Dyed diesel user
Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.
Things to know
The Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) online system is now available. It's an easier and faster way to manage your fuel tax accounts. Register your account through TAP.
Who needs a license?
You need a license if you drive on public roads or highways using special dyed fuel. Dyed diesel users are government agencies or organizations approved by us, such as:
- Public school districts
- Nonprofit educational organizations
- Government agencies
How to get your license
- Complete a Dyed Diesel User Application.
- Send the completed application to the address or fax number on the form.
- Once we process your application, we'll send you a copy of:
- Your license
- Your first tax return
You need to keep detailed mileage records for each vehicle using dyed fuel on public roadways. These records must include on-road and off-road use on a daily basis.
How to file your tax return
Complete a Dyed Diesel Fuel User Tax Return and:
- If you're including a payment, mail your completed return and a check to:
Prorate and Fuel Tax
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048
- If you're sending only your return (without a payment), mail or fax it to:
Fuel Tax Section
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9228
Olympia, WA 98507-9228
- Fax: 360.570.7839 or 360.586.9729
For more information about completing your return, see Dyed Diesel Tax Return Instructions.
|Reporting period||Report and payment due|
|October - December 2021||January 25, 2022|
|January - March 2022||April 25, 2022|
|April - June 2022||July 25, 2022|
|July - September 2022||October 25, 2022|
|October - December 2022||January 25, 2023|
|January - March 2023||April 25, 2023|
|April - June 2023||July 25, 2023|
|July - September 2023||October 25, 2023|
|October - December 2023||January 25, 2024|
|January - March 2024||April 25, 2024|
|April - June 2024||July 25, 2024|
|July - September 2024||October 25, 2024|
|October - December 2024||January 25, 2025|
|If your payment isn't received by||You'll owe|
|Due date||10% penalty on the tax owed|
|1st of the following month||Interest of 1% per month|
Refund for tax-paid non-dyed (clear) diesel
You might be eligible for a refund of the Washington State fuel tax:
- As a non-profit or government entity who bought at least 41 gallons of Washington tax–paid fuel in the past 13 months; and,
- You used it for off road activities like:
- landscape/lawn maintenance
- auxiliary equipment such as the dumping mechanism on a dump truck, or the boom on a boom truck
If you answered "Yes" to the requirements directly above, visit the Fuel Tax Refund page for more information about filing for a refund.
Questions? Need help?
Call us: 360.664.1858