Licensing off-road vehicles and motorcycles

What is an off-road vehicle (ORV)?

An ORV is a non-street-registered vehicle with 2, 3, or 4 wheels. They're used for recreational purposes on non-highway roads, trails, snow, water, and other natural terrain.

Some 4-wheeled off road vehicles must be titled and licensed as a Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle (WATV). See RCW 46.09.310 (19).

How to title and license an off-road vehicle (ORV)

You have 15 days after purchasing your vehicle to apply for a title, otherwise penalty fees will apply.

You'll also need to get plates and registration before you can drive on public road ways. Your registration expires 1 year from the date you register your ORV. Which means you'll need to register it every year.

The ORV registration must be carried on the vehicle at all times during while it being used in Washington state. Decals must be affixed to the ORV.

Purchasing from private party or out of state

If you've purchased your vehicle from a private party or out of state, please follow the steps to Transfer ownership and apply for a title and registration.

We'll issue an ORV registration, decals, and tabs when you've completed an application and paid all fees.

Plates for modified off-road motorcycles

If an off-road 2-wheeled motorcycle (originally manufactured as off-road use only) has been modified to meet the requirements for road use, you may get a license plate for it. It must be defined as having handlebars and a seat that is straddled by the rider.

How to make your off-road motorcycle street legal

  • Install all of the following equipment:
  • Motorcycle must be inspected by a licensed Washington State motorcycle repair shop or motorcycle dealer.
  • Submit all of the following to a vehicle licensing office:
    • Completed Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form.
    • Copy of the receipt showing you paid for the safety inspection (attached to the form).
    • Title for the motorcycle. If the bank has the title, you'll need to work with your bank to get the title and motorcycle highway use declaration form submitted.

Title, registration, and license plate

When you've completed the process of making your motorcycle street legal:

  • To show it's street legal "modified for on-road use" will be printed on the title and registration.
  • You'll need an ORV decal and a motorcycle license plate to ride on public roads. (The law requires modified off-road motorcycles to meet both ORV requirements and requirements for on-road use).

Frequently asked questions

How can I find out if a motorcycle dealer or repair shop is licensed?

Ask for their Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number and use our license lookup to see if they're licensed.

  • Repair shops have business licenses.
  • Dealers will have a professional license and business license.

Their status should be open and active.

How much will the safety inspection cost?

The dealer or repair shop can't charge more than $100 per inspection.

Make sure a copy of the receipt is attached to your Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form.

What if I decide to remove the equipment that's installed?

If you remove the equipment, the motorcycle isn't street legal.

Submit the title to a vehicle licensing office and remove the license plate. A new title will be issued that says "not eligible for road use."

Do I need a motorcycle endorsement on my driver license?

Yes. You must also comply with all the Rules of the road and laws for motorcycle drivers under RCW 46.37.530.

Related Washington State laws

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website