We've upgraded our systems to better serve you. Office wait times will be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience as we change to this new system.

Licensing snowmobiles

What is a snowmobile?

A snowmobile is a self-propelled vehicle capable of traveling over snow or ice and has the following features:

  • Tracks - an endless belt with or without cleats used to drive in snow or ice.
  • Skis or sled type runners (for steering).

How to Register a Snowmobile

Washington State does not issue titles for snowmobiles but you do need to register it. If the snowmobile already has a registration, the new owner must transfer it into their name within 10 days of taking possession of it.

To register your snowmobile submit the following:

  • A Vehicle Title Application (English, Español, Русский, and more) The application must include:
    • Name and address of each registered owner
    • Make, model year
    • VIN
    • Method of propulsion
    • Purchase price and year of purchase
    • or
    • Declared value and year of declaration;
  • A copy of any of the following:
    • Previously issued registration certificate;
    • Certificate of ownership from another state or country;
    • Manufacturer's certificate of origin;
    • A bill of sale or purchase agreement;
    • Other department approved ownership documents
    • Fees and taxes

When do I need to renew my snowmobile's decals and registration?

You must renew your decals and registration by October 1 for the following year.

If you skipped a renewal year and want to renew for the next year that's coming up make sure you renew on October 1. Otherwise you'll be renewing for the year you skipped. Snowmobile registration period is from October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Registration fees are not prorated.

Regular Snowmobile Decals

Snowmobiles are issued 2 decals in place of license plates.

Decals and tabs should be affixed to the snowmobile as follows:

  • Decals: directly below the windshield on both sides of the hood for maximum visibility
  • Month tab: in front of the first digit of each decal
  • Year tab: on the left side (driver's left when seated) within 2 inches of the last digit of the decal

Vintage Snowmobiles

Snowmobiles manufactured 30 or more years ago are considered vintage. Owners:

  • Must visit an office to have a Vintage Snowmobile use type assigned.
  • Pay $12 registration fee without any special operating restrictions.
  • Doesn't have to register a vintage snowmobile if they don't operate it in Washington. (For example, they may transport it by trailer to a car show.)

Exempt from Registering

The following snowmobiles are not subject to annual registration:

  • Government owned (or another state or political subdivision)
  • Nonresident owned when the owner is using the snowmobile for 15 consecutive days or less. They must have a valid registration from a jurisdiction with a similar exemption for WA residents.

Out of State Snowmobiles

When a snowmobile comes from a jurisdiction that does not register snowmobiles, it qualifies for a Nonresident Temporary Snowmobile Permit. Out of state snowmobiles that are located in Washington for more than 60 consecutive days must be registered in Washington.

Adding a lien to a snowmobile

Washington doesn't issue titles for snowmobiles. If you want to put a lien on a snowmobile, contact our Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) section for specific instructions and application. Security interests are registered with our UCC section and won't be recorded on the snowmobile registration.

Contact information
Department of Licensing
Phone: 360.664.1530
Email: ucc@dol.wa.gov
Online: Contact us: UCC

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website