Nonemergency HOV exempt decals
Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.
- Description of nonemergency HOV exempt decal
- HOV exempt decal requirements
- Find out the fees
- Submit your payment and application
1. Description of nonemergency HOV exempt decal
The owner of a for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle may apply for a high occupancy vehicle (HOV) exempt decal for a for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle. The HOV exempt decal allows the for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle to use a HOV lane from 2021-2023.
A for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle is a vehicle that has a use class “for-hire”. That vehicle must provide nonemergency medical transportation, including life-sustaining needs of:
- Individuals traveling to medical practices and clinics.
- Cancer centers.
- Dialysis facilities.
- Other care providers
2. HOV exempt decal requirements
The owner of a for hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle or the owner’s representative must apply an exemption decal on a Nonemergency HOV Exemption Decal Application form. The application must include:
- The name and address of the person who is the owner of the vehicle.
- Full description of the vehicle, including it’s make, model, year, and the vehicle identification number.
- The purpose for which the vehicle is principally used.
- An attestation that the vehicle’s owner has a minimum of one contract or service agreement to provide for hire transportation services for medical purposes with one of more of the following entities:
- A health insurance company
- A hospital
- Dialysis center
- Other medical institution
- Day care center
- Retirement home
- Group home
- Federal, state of local agency or jurisdiction
- Broker who negotiates for these services on behalf of one or more of these entities.
3. Find out the fees
|License service fee||$0.50|
|License plate technology fee||$0.25|
|HOV exempt decal fee||$5|
|Total fees||$18.25 per vehicle|
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total fees if you're conducting another transaction for the vehicle.
4. Submit your applications and payment
Submit your payment and completed Nonemergency HOV Exemption Decal Application form by:
- Bringing your documents to a vehicle licensing office
- Mailing your documents to us:
Special Plate Unit
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9043
Olympia, WA 98507-9909