If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Renew your tabs

Your tab renewal options:

How can I estimate my fees?

When do I need to renew my tabs?

Tabs expire every year.

To see when they're due, look at your license plate for the expiration month and year. You can also check your License eXpress account – it'll show you the month, day, and year they expire. It will show the address and email addresses we have for your vehicles.

Do you want to get renewal reminders?

What might I need to do before or when I renew?

Donations and other options when you renew:

How long does it take to get my tabs?

  • By mail, within 5 business days. If you don't get them within:
  • If you're picking them up, they should be ready when you get to the office. You'll need to show photo ID.

If you don't get the tabs you purchased, contact a vehicle licensing location. We may be able to send a replacement, at no cost, if you meet these requirements:

  • We verify that we issued the tabs, but you haven't received them within 15-90 days.
  • We have your current mailing address.
  • Return the original tabs to any vehicle licensing office, if they're ever found.

Are you part of the military or uniformed services?

If you're stationed outside of Washington when your tabs expire, you may be able to get a new expiration date.

If your current tabs expired less than 12 months ago, we'll give you a new full year registration period. Apply for a new registration period through a vehicle licensing location:

  • By mail - Send all items below to an office of your choice:
    • Your tab renewal notice
    • Copy of your military orders
    • Check/money order payable to DOL
  • or
  • In person - Bring a copy of your military orders, so we can verify your deployment dates, with a check or money order for fees.

Can I deduct any of my fees from my federal taxes?

Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Motor Vehicle Excise Tax and Watercraft Excise Tax may be deductible. Check with your tax advisor.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website