If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.
Collector vehicle license plates

Collector Vehicle plates

COVID-19 closures are affecting the production of our license plates, tabs, and decals. This is causing significant delays in our ability to issue them to you.

You may want to consider waiting to apply for a personalized or specialty plate.

If you have a temporary permit expiring soon, you can visit a vehicle licensing office to get a new one.

We don't have a timeline for when production delays will return to normal. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.


  1. Plate requirements.
  2. Vehicle requirements.
  3. Find out the initial cost for plates.
  4. Submit your application and payment.
  5. If you use restored WA license plates
  6. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.

1. Plate requirements

  • You must be a WA state vehicle owner, to get these plates.
  • They can only be used on the vehicle they were purchased for.
  • The plates are displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If you provide a set of restored plates, they may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle.
  • You don't need to display month/year tabs on the plates.

2. Vehicle requirements

Vehicles with these plates:

  • Must have a current registration.
  • Must be more than 30 years old.
  • Be capable of operating on the highway.
  • Be owned and operated as collector vehicles.
  • May be driven:
    • To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
    • For testing purposes.
    • For the pleasure of others without compensation.
  • May not be used for:
    • Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
    • Commercial purposes or to carry a load.

Note: These plates are available for trailers 30 years or older.

3. Find out the initial cost for plates

Fee by vehicle type
Vehicle type Fee
Passenger $100.25
Truck $99.50
Motorcycle $71.25

4. Submit your application and payment

Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost of your plates.

Submit a Specialty License Plate Application and payment to:
Application & Issuance
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500

5. If you use restored WA license plates

You can use it on your vehicle instead of a getting a Collector Vehicle plate through us. The restored plate must be from the same year that the vehicle was manufactured. The plates must be restored to their original design. You can't use reproductions. For more information, see Restored plates.

6. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:


Contact us

Chatbot icon