Disabled American Veteran plates
COVID-19 closures are affecting the production of our license plates, tabs, and decals. This is causing significant delays in our ability to issue them to you.
You may want to consider waiting to apply for a personalized or specialty plate.
If you have a temporary permit expiring soon, you can visit a vehicle licensing office to get a new one.
We don't have a timeline for when production delays will return to normal. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.
Note: This plate doesn't give you disabled parking privileges, see Disabled parking.
- Find out if you qualify.
- Plate options.
- Submit your proof and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
- Renew your plates, if applicable.
1. Find out if you qualify
If you're a WA state vehicle owner who served in any branch of the US armed forces, Reserves, or National Guard and:
- Had an honorable discharge or a medical honorable discharge,
- Have been rated by the Veterans Administration or military service, and
- Are receiving 100% service-connected compensation expected to last for more than 1 year.
You qualify for Disabled American Veteran plates, which are exempt from license fees on 1 vehicle per year. These plates are good for the life of the veteran.
We can't issue multiple sets of these plates.
2. Plate options
These plates are flat. They don't have raised characters.
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost to get these plates. If you want your Disabled American Veteran plates:
- Disabled American Veteran plates can't be personalized.
- To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your proof and application.
If you'd like to have a special background for your plates, additional fees will apply. Contact a vehicle licensing office.
3. Submit your proof and application
Get a letter of eligibility from Department of Veterans Affairs verifying a 100% service-connected disability.
Mail the letter of eligibility and Military License Plate Application.
- Check the box for Disabled American Veteran plates or Disabled American Veteran tabs.
- Be sure to sign and date the form.
- Payment for any applicable fees.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
- Online: www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/
- By phone: 866.936.8246
5. Renew your plates, if applicable
You're not required to renew your Disabled American Veteran license plates or tabs when you choose the next available plate in the series for 1 vehicle. You must renew your plates every year if you choose to have a special background for your plates.