Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.
- Decide what you'd like to have on your plate.
- Find out the initial cost for a plate.
- Submit your application and payment.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account.
- Renew your tabs and plates every year.
1. Decide what you'd like to have on your plate
The characters you can use are letters, numbers, hyphens, or spaces:
- For standard-size plates: 1-7 characters.
- For motorcycle and small trailer plates: 1-6 characters.
You can't use:
- Unusual characters: (#, %, &, @, +, !) etc.
- Invalid letter and number combinations.
- Vulgar, racial, ethnic, or indecent messages.
Use these tools to help you plan your plates:
- See which letter and number combinations are allowed:
- Go to Look up personalized plates
- Under "Questions?" select "Click here for Personalized plate requirements"
- Check to see if your plate is available, look up personalized plates.
- Chose between personalized plates with:
- standard mountain background.
- special design background.
2. Find out the initial cost for a plate
|Keep Kids Safe plate||Add $5 to above|
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost of your plates.
Your personalized plate will be canceled and available for another vehicle owner to use if you don't:
- Renew your personalized plate within 45 days after the renewal date.
- Transfer your personalized plate to a new vehicle within 30 days of the sale of your previous vehicle.
3. Submit your payment and application
To find out the total cost of your plates, contact a vehicle licensing office.
Mail your payment and Specialty License Plate Application to the address on the form.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
- By phone: 866.936.8246
5. Renew your plates yearly
You must renew your plates every year.