Purple Heart plates
- Find out if you qualify.
- Plate options.
- Submit your proof and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
- Renew your plates yearly, if you have personalized plates.
1. Find out if you qualify
Your first set of plates are available at no cost if you're a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof (DD214):
- That you were issued the Purple Heart
- You're a surviving spouse or domestic partner of a deceased Purple Heart recipient.
These plates are not available for trailers.
2. Plate options
You have 2 options. If you want your Purple Heart plates:
- To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your proof and application
- To be personalized, see Personalized plates
3. Submit your proof and application
Mail your proof with the Military License Plate Application:
- Provide proof - a copy of your DD214.
- If you're a surviving spouse or domestic partner of a deceased Purple Heart recipient, provide a copy of the recipient's death certificate and an affidavit that you haven't remarried.
You can buy Purple Heart plates for additional vehicles. Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out about fees required for additional plates.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
5. Renew your plates yearly, if you have personalized plates
You must renew your plates every year if you chose to personalize your plates. This rule applies even if you're not using the vehicle. See Personalized plates for more information.