Contracted Plate Search (formerly IVIPS)
What is Contracted Plate Search?
A way for qualified business and government users to search and view Washington state vehicle and vessel records. You can search by VIN, license plate number, boat Hull ID number (HIN), boat WN number, or registered owner name.
Login or sign up for
License eXpress to use this system.
Use must comply with:
Who needs a plate search contract?
Any business or agency that has a permissible purpose for accessing vehicle or vessel registration information.
Parties that might need a plate search contract include:
- Insurance agents
- Private investigators
- Process servers
- Vehicle dealers
- Vehicle wreckers or salvage processors
- Out‑of‑state tow truck operators
- Law enforcement agencies
- Government agencies
Permissible uses include:
- Processing insurance claims
- Buying, selling, impounding, or destroying vehicles
- Administering vehicle taxes
- Enforcing or administering vehicle‑related laws
If you don’t see your business activity, you can still request a plate search contract. We’ll review your request and determine if your activity qualifies as a permissible purpose.
What you’ll need
- A computer with any operating system (such as Windows) and any of the following browser software:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer 7+
- Safari 5+
- Chrome 5+
- Firefox 3.5+
- Opera 10+
- Internet access (broadband, DSL, or dial‑up)
How to get started
The steps below should be followed by the person who will act as the administrator for the account. This person will manage system access for their employees.
Step 1: Request a plate search contract
Follow the instructions in the Contracted Plate Search Account Request User Guide to ask for a contract to conduct plate searches.
Step 2: Get access to the system
Once you have a contract to conduct plate searches, follow the instructions in the Administrator Account Access User Guide to set up account access.
Step 3: Prepare staff members to use the system
- Create an account access code for each employee who will conduct plate searches (see Administer Employee Account Access in the Administrator Account Access User Guide).
- Email the access codes to your employees, who will set up their account access using the instructions in the Employee Account Access User Guide.
Step 4: Conduct searches
Now you are ready to conduct plate searches. Instructions for conducting searches are in the E‑services User Guide.
Questions? Need help?
Contracted plates searches
- If you have general questions about using the Contracted Plate Search system, email us at email@example.com