Requesting public records
How do I request public records?
You can request all types of records by visiting the Request Public Records portal (nextrequest.com). The portal is a secure platform for:
- Communicating your records needs.
- Receiving updates about the status of your request.
- Easy record retrieval once we've processed your request.
If you can't use the online portal, choose one of the options below.
Vehicle and Vessel Records
Complete the form below and mail it to us at the address shown on the form.
- Vehicle/Boat Record Request (English, Español, 简体中文, and more)
All Other Records
Complete the form below and mail or email it to us at the address shown on the form.
- Public Record Request (English, Español, 简体中文, and more)
How long will it take?
You will receive a reply within 5 business days after we receive your request. The response might include the records you requested, but sometimes we will do one of the following:
- Ask a few questions to understand exactly what records you need.
- Give an estimate of the time needed to search for and produce the records.
- Redirect you to a different state agency or public website.
- Deny your request.
Can you deny my request?
We screen all requests for public records to determine if we can fulfill the request. If we must deny your request, we will tell you:
- Why we denied your request.
- The specific law(s) that prohibits disclosure of the records.
Questions? Need help?
- Send us mail:
Department of Licensing
Attn: Public Records Officer
PO Box 2957
Olympia, WA 98507-2957
- Email us: PublicRecords@dol.wa.gov
- Call us: 360.902.7100