What is REAL ID?
REAL ID is a federal law, not an actual piece of ID. Congress passed the REAL ID Act in 2005. The act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver licenses and ID cards. Starting May 7, 2025 anyone traveling by airplane or visiting certain federal facilities must use a REAL ID compliant license or ID card.
You may already have what you need
You can use any of these identification options to board domestic flights:
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- U.S. Military ID
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- Foreign Passport
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
- Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
- Enhanced Driver License (EDL)
- Enhanced Identification Card (EID)
See the full list of ID documents accepted for air travel.(tsa.gov)