Frequently asked questions


How do I get the required experience without a license?
You must work under the supervision of a certified appraiser as a registered trainee.
What standards of practice apply to real estate appraisers in the state of Washington?
The standards of practice for Washington licensed or certified real estate appraisers is the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) published by the Appraisal Standards Board of the Appraisal Foundation.
No, RCW 18.140.020(1) says "compensation may be provided for brokers price opinions prepared by a real estate licensee, licensed under chapter 18.85 RCW."
No. The law doesn't prevent an "appraiser trainee" from preparing an appraisal report, but it requires a review and signature of a certified real estate appraiser as the supervisory appraiser. Remember that Standard Rule 2-3 USPAP requires the name of each individual providing significant professional assistance be stated in the certification of the report.
Where can I find the number of hours allowable for appraisals?
You may find the maximum hours allowable per property type in WAC 308-125-075.
What's considered a "complex" property?
A complex property is one that isn't typical when considering the following:
  • Age of improvements
  • Architectural style
  • Size of improvements
  • Size of site
  • Neighborhood land use
  • Potential environmental hazards liability
  • Limited availability of comparable sales data
  • Other unusual factors
Am I required to report the presence or absence of carbon monoxide detectors/alarms in my appraisal report?
Appraiser regulations, rules, and standards don't require you to report the presence or absence of carbon monoxide detectors in an appraisal report; nor are we aware of any legislation establishing responsibility for such reporting. A client may request you to report the presence or absence of a carbon monoxide detector. It is up to you to accept or refuse the assignment.
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website