If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Driver training instructor

Who needs a license?

Anyone who provides driver training instruction for a fee.

Before you apply

  • Complete your instructor training with:
    • A licensed Driver Training School (DTS)
    • An approved secondary school (currently only Western Oregon University)
    • Office of the Superintendent of Public Schools (OSPI) to become an active fully endorsed Traffic Safety Education (TSE) instructor.
    • If you have completed a training program that is not listed above, you may submit documentation for review by our licensing team.
  • Review the following to prepare for the Knowledge and Skills exams:
  • Schedule and submit your fingerprint based background check.
    • Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through Idemia, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type. For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.

What you'll need

  • A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
  • A complete driver's abstract from all states outside of Washington where you have had a driver's license.
  • Proof of your completed instructor training.
  • Be prepared to pay your application fee.


Apply online

After we’ve received your application

  • We'll wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks. For questions, call 360.902.3703.
  • We will notify you when we approve your license.
  • Once you establish your association to a school in License eXpress for Business, your printable license will become available on your dashboard within 24 hours.

Post your license

  • Log in to print copies of your license. The printable copy will be available once you have associated with a school in License eXpress for Business.
  • Your license must be posted at your place of business before instructing any students.
  • You can also request a copy of your license be mailed to you. There's a $5 fee that you'll pay in our online licensing system.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon