How to get your license: Driver training instructor
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides driver training instruction for a fee.
Before you apply
- Complete your instructor training with:
- A licensed Driver Training School (DTS)
- An approved secondary school (currently only Western Oregon University)
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Schools (OSPI) to become an active fully endorsed Traffic Safety Education (TSE) instructor.
- If you have completed a training program that is not listed above, you may submit documentation for review by our licensing team.
- Review the following to prepare for the Knowledge and Skills exams:
- Washington Driver Guide
- Washington state laws
- Drive Right (10th edition), available at commercial driving schools
- When you're ready, schedule an appointment with a licensing service office to complete your instructor written and skills exams. Be ready to pay your $25 testing fee at the licensing office.
- Follow these steps to make an appointment.
- Verify a minimum Knowledge Exam score of 87% for DTS instructors. You must do this before conducting the Skills Exam. You will need a minimum 90% on your Skills Exam to pass.
- Schedule and submit your fingerprint based background check.
- Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through Idemia, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type. For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.
What you'll need
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
- If you don't have one, you'll be able to create one before you start.
- For help visit How to set up account access.
- A complete driver's abstract from all states outside of Washington where you have had a driver's license.
- Proof of your completed instructor training.
- Be prepared to pay your application fee.
After we’ve received your application
- We'll wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks. For questions, call 360.902.3703.
- We will notify you when we approve your license.
- Once you establish your association to a school in License eXpress for Business, your printable license will become available on your dashboard within 24 hours.
Post your license
- Log in to print copies of your license. The printable copy will be available once you have associated with a school in License eXpress for Business.
- Your license must be posted at your place of business before instructing any students.
- You can also request a copy of your license be mailed to you. There's a $5 fee that you'll pay in our online licensing system.
- Driver Training School (DTS) Instructor Curriculum
- Schedule-DTS-Instructor-Exam-Instruction Sheet
- How to renew your license
- RCW 46.82 Driver training schools
- RCW 46.82.325 Background checks for school personnel
- WAC 308–108 Driver training schools
Questions? Need help?
- Email us: email@example.com
- Call us: 360.902.3703