How to get your license: Driver training instructor
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides driver training instruction for a fee.
Before you apply
- Complete your instructor training with:
- A licensed Driver Training School (DTS)
- An approved secondary school (currently only Western Oregon University)
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Schools (OSPI) to become an active fully endorsed Traffic Safety Education (TSE) instructor.
- If you have completed a training program that is not listed above, you may submit documentation for review by our licensing team.
- Review the following to prepare for the Knowledge and Skills exams:
- Washington Driver Guide
- Washington state laws
- Drive Right (10th edition), available at commercial driving schools
- When you're ready, schedule an appointment with a licensing service office to complete your instructor written and skills exams. Be ready to pay your $25 testing fee at the licensing office.
- Follow these steps to make an appointment.
- Verify a minimum Knowledge Exam score of 87% for DTS instructors. You must do this before conducting the Skills Exam. You will need a minimum 90% on your Skills Exam to pass.
- Schedule and submit your fingerprint based background check.
What you'll need
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
- If you don't have one, you'll be able to create one before you start.
- For help visit How to set up account access.
- A complete driver's abstract from all states outside of Washington where you have had a driver's license.
- Proof of your completed instructor training.
- Be prepared to pay your application fee.
After we’ve received your application
- We'll wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks. For questions, call 360.902.3703.
- We will notify you when we approve your license.
- Once you establish your association to a school in License eXpress for Business, your printable license will become available on your dashboard within 24 hours.
Post your license
- Log in to print copies of your license. The printable copy will be available once you have associated with a school in License eXpress for Business.
- Your license must be posted at your place of business before instructing any students.
- You can also request a copy of your license be mailed to you. There's a $5 fee that you'll pay in our online licensing system.
- Driver Training School (DTS) Instructor Curriculum
- Schedule-DTS-Instructor-Exam-Instruction Sheet
- How to renew your license