How to get your license: Concealed pistol license

Local law enforcement agencies issue concealed pistol licenses (CPL)

The Department of Licensing:

  • Doesn't issue concealed pistol licenses.
  • Can't answer questions about the status of concealed pistol licenses.
  • Acts only as a central storage location for firearms data. This data is available to law enforcement or corrections agencies only.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who:

  • Carries a pistol concealed on their person
  • Carries or places a loaded pistol in a vehicle


You must:

  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Apply in person at your local law enforcement agency (see Where to apply below)
  • Get fingerprinted for a background check

You can’t apply for a concealed pistol license if you:

  • Have a revoked concealed pistol license
  • Are subject to a court order or injunction concerning the possession of firearms
  • Are free on bond or personal recognizance while awaiting trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense
  • Have an outstanding warrant for your arrest for a felony or misdemeanor
  • Have been ordered to forfeit a firearm within the last 12 months


  • $48 (some law enforcement agencies will laminate your license for an extra charge)

How to apply

What you need

  • Concealed Pistol License Application - Available at the website or at the location of your local law enforcement agency. See Where to apply below.
  • Photo ID
    • Valid state driver license or ID or
      • If you are a permanent resident alien, bring your permanent resident card.
      • If you have an alien firearms license, bring your original passport and US‑issued alien number or admission number.
  • If applicable, bring your original certificate of rehabilitation or firearms restoration orders.
  • Payment - Cash or check/money order payable to the law enforcement agency.

What to do

  1. Take all the above items to your local law enforcement agency. See Where to apply below.
  2. Get your fingerprints taken at a law enforcement agency for the required background check (fingerprints are not required if you are renewing your license).
    • Not all agencies provide this service, so check before you go.
  3. It takes 30 to 60 days to complete the background check and issue your license.
  4. If you are renewing your license, you should receive it in about 14 days.
  5. To check your application status, contact the law enforcement agency where you applied for the license.

Your license is valid for 5 years from the date it is issued.

Where to apply
If you live Apply at*
In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington Your county sheriff's office
In an incorporated city or town in Washington Your city/town police department or your county sheriff’s office
Outside of Washington (not a Washington state resident) Any local law enforcement agency (police department or sheriff’s office) in Washington State

*Check before you go to make sure the law enforcement agency provides the services you need.

If your license is lost, denied, or revoked

Contact the law enforcement agency where you applied for your license for information or to get a replacement license.

How do I:

Find out if my concealed pistol license is good in another state?
Visit the Attorney General Office ( website to see states with firearms reciprocity.

Find out if someone has a CPL or gun?
By law, we can't provide any information related to anyone's record, except to law enforcement and correctional agencies.

Get information about my CPL or firearms record?
You can request this information by completing a Firearms Record Certification Request. When completed, take the form and your photo identification to a local law enforcement agency.

Restore my rights?
Contact the court where you were convicted or the superior court where you live.

Related information

All links:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website