We've upgraded our systems to better serve you. Office wait times will be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience as we change to this new system.

How to get your license: Funeral directors

Who needs a license?

Anyone who provides care, shelter, transportation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains, including arranging and directing funeral, memorial, or other services.


To get a license as a funeral director, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Meet at least one of the following education requirements:
    • Have an Associate of Arts degree in Mortuary Science.
    • Meet the Alternative education requirements.
    • Have at least 5 years of active licensed experience in another state.
  • Complete a funeral director internship.
  • Take and pass the licensing exam.

How to apply

  1. Submit an application, either online or by mail:
  2. Online
  3. By mail
  4. Submit the following to the address shown on the application:
  5. Have supporting documents sent directly to us at the address shown below:
    • Washington applicants or applicants who have been licensed in another state less than 5 years:
      • Official transcripts from your college or university. We accept only sealed transcripts sent directly from the issuing college or university.
      • Copy of your National Board scores
    • All applicants licensed in another state:
      • License history and exam verifications from any states where you've been licensed

Mailing address – Supporting documents only (no applications or payments):

Funeral and Cemetery Board
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9012
Olympia WA 98507

Questions? Need help?

Contact us
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website