How to get your license: Funeral directors
You won't be able to apply for or renew a license from October 27 - November 3. We're launching a new online system to help you manage your licenses November 4.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides care, shelter, transportation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains, including arranging and directing funeral, memorial, or other services.
To get a license as a funeral director, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Meet at least one of the following education requirements:
- Complete a funeral director internship.
- Take and pass the licensing exam.
How to apply
- Submit an application, either online or by mail:
- By mail
- Submit the following to the address shown on the application:
- Have supporting documents sent directly to us at the address shown below:
- Washington applicants or applicants who have been licensed in another state less than 5 years:
- Official transcripts from your college or university. We accept only sealed transcripts sent directly from the issuing college or university.
- Copy of your National Board scores
- All applicants licensed in another state:
- License history and exam verifications from any states where you've been licensed
Mailing address – Supporting documents only (no applications or payments):
Funeral and Cemetery Board
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9012
Olympia WA 98507
Questions? Need help?