How to get your license: Funeral directors
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides care, shelter, transportation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains, including arranging and directing funeral, memorial, or other services.
To get a license as a funeral director, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Meet at least one of the following education requirements:
- Have an Associate of Arts degree in Mortuary Science.
- Meet the Alternative education requirements.
- Have at least 5 years of active licensed experience in another state.
- Complete a funeral director internship.
- Take and pass the licensing exam.
- If you have 5 years or more of active licensed experience in another state, you don't need to meet the education requirements.
- If you have less than 5 years of active licensed experience in another state, you must meet the education requirements.
What you'll need sent to us
- Official copy of your National Board scores.
- Official transcripts, if you want education to be applied toward experience.
- License history and exam verifications, if you have out-of-state experience.
How to apply
- Submit an application:
- to apply online.
- By mail
Please allow 7–10 business days, not including mailing time, to process your application.
- Have any official transcripts, National Board Scores, or license history and exam verifications sent to:
Funeral and Cemetery BoardOnly sealed transcripts sent directly from the issuing college or university will be accepted.
PO Box 9012
Olympia, WA 98507-9012
Questions? Need help?
- Email us: email@example.com
- Call us: 360.664.1555