Get answers to your questions about essential businesses.
More extensions for some expiring driver licenses.
Vehicle and boat licensing services may vary across the state.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Examinations: Geologists

Due to COVID-19, the Geologist Exam scheduled for March 20, 2020 has been rescheduled to October 2, 2020.

National Association of State Boards of Geology Exam

We administer the National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG) exam 2 times a year, on dates set by ASBOG. The exam consists of:

  • Fundamentals of Geology (4 hours)
  • Practice of Geology (4 hours)

ASBOG Candidate Exam Handbook

How to apply

Before you can take the exam, make sure you meet the minimum requirements.

To take the exam, you must complete the following:

ASBOG exam schedule
Exam date and location Due date for application and fees
March 20, 2020
Canceled due to COVID-19
December 31, 2019
October 2, 2020


July 10, 2020

Exam fees

You'll need to pay 2 different fees:

  1. The cost to apply for the ASBOG exams is $100 (check or money order payable to the Department of Licensing). This fee includes your application, license, and certificate.
  2. After you receive our approval letter to take the exam, you'll need to pay the exam fee to ASBOG.
    • If you don't pay the ASBOG fee by their deadline, you won't be able to take the exam.

Due dates

  • Applications and fees must be postmarked before or on the application due date.
  • All supplemental material (transcripts, employment and experience verification forms, personal references and lists of projects) must be received on the same due date as application and fees (see above).

Specialty exams

We also administer exams to be licensed as an Engineering Geologist or a Hydrogeologist. You must be licensed as a geologist in Washington in order to take a specialty exam.

Engineering geologist and Hydrogeologist licensing examination

Engineering geologist and Hydrogeologist licensing examinations are offered 2 times a year, on the same dates as the ASBOG exam. (see ASBOG schedule above)

Applications, fees, and project lists must be postmarked before or on the application due date.

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website