If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Seal and stamp requirements: Landscape architects

Seal/stamp requirements

Below is an example of the landscape architect seal/stamp design required by state law. Your seal/stamp must be in the format shown, with:

  • Your name in place of "LICENSED FULL NAME"
  • Your certificate number in place of the "####"

Example of the Washington landscape architect stamp/seal.

No deviation from this design is proper or legal. The seal/stamp:

  • May be scaled as appropriate, provided it remains readable.
  • Can't include a firm name.

Using your seal/stamp

The following rules apply to all work you prepare or supervise:

  • You must stamp or seal all the following:
    • Technical submissions required for building permits, regulatory approvals, or construction drawings filed with authorities having jurisdiction.
    • Drawings prepared by you (on each sheet).
    • Specifications and other technical submissions (on the cover, title page, and all pages of the table of contents).
  • Your seal/stamp must include your signature and license expiration date. Your signature can be handwritten or a digitally-represented handwritten version and must be next to the stamp/seal. (Requirements may differ in local jurisdictions.)
  • If you use preprinted identification block tracing sheets, you may have the seal/stamp printed on the block at the time of manufacture. You must add your signature and expiration date to each sheet before they're printed.
  • If you seal or stamp documents you have reviewed, you're responsible to the same extent as if you had prepared them yourself.
  • You may use more than 1 seal/stamp on drawings and specifications, but it's not necessary.

You may not use your seal/stamp:

  • If your license is one of the following:
    • Expired
    • Delinquent
    • Revoked
    • Suspended
  • On any drawings not prepared by you or your regularly employed subordinates, or not reviewed by you.

Frequently asked questions

How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?

Your name will appear exactly as you entered it on your application.

How do I get my seal/stamp?

You may order one from any rubber stamp manufacturer.

Do I need to get a new stamp to comply with the recent design change?"

No. If you were licensed before January 1, 2017, you may continue to use your existing stamp.

Can I use an electronically-produced seal?

Yes. However, you may want to check with the building official of the project you are going to be signing and stamping to find out if they accept electronic signatures.

Related laws and rules

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon