Our website is getting a new look! Coming Summer 2023 – stay tuned!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Real estate brokers

Who needs a license?

Anyone who acts on behalf of a real estate firm to perform real estate brokerage services under the supervision of a managing broker.


To qualify you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Complete 90 hours of approved real estate education. This education must include:
    • A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
    • A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
    • You must complete your education within 2 years before applying for the exam.
    • Visit the Course Search for a list of approved real estate education.
    • Reciprocity applicants don't need to take the 90 hours.
  • Pass the broker's exam(s).
  • Be ready to answer legal background questions and provide documents if needed.
  • Submit your fingerprints for the background check (due every 6 years).

Steps to licensure

  • If licensed in another state, see how to get licensed in Washington by reciprocity.
  • Take required education through an approved school.
  • Register as a student with PSI after starting but before completing the education.
  • Schedule and pass the exams through PSI.
  • Submit your fingerprints for the background check (due every 6 years).
  • Receive notification us that we got your exam results before applying for a license. Don't apply for a license before you receive the notification.
  • When both background and exam results are on record, and before 1 year has passed, apply for license.

What you'll need to apply for a license

  • Passing exam result on file with us.
  • Completed fingerprint background check results on file.
  • Documents, ready to upload, for the legal background questions, if needed.

How to apply for license after exam passed

  • Receive notification from us that passing exam results are on file.
  • Have documents ready to upload for the legal background questions if needed.
  • Login or sign up to start your application. You must use Google Chrome set as the default browser and allow pop-ups.
  • If you don’t see the “Your To-Do’s” section on the Home Page:
    • Don’t apply for license if you don’t see the “Apply for License” button in the “Your To-do’s” section. We haven’t received your exam results yet.
    • If you see a reminder to submit fingerprints and you already did, then we haven’t received results yet. It can take 14 business days to reach us from WSP. You can’t proceed until they are on file.
    • If it’s been more than 14 business days since you submitted your fingerprints and more than 4 business days since you passed your exam(s) and the Your To-Do’s is still missing, contact us at realestate@dol.wa.gov.
      • Please send 1 email only!
      • Include the TCN number issued by IdentoGo and the date submitted.
  • When you see the “Your To-Do’s” section with an “Apply for License” button, click the button to apply.
    • Don’t use any other button outside of the Your To-Do’s section. They are for exam applications.
  • Pay your fees online.
    • You must pay both the licensure fee and the $10 research fee. If you uncheck either fee, we won’t issue you a license until you have paid in full.
  • After you get your license, a firm can invite you to join them to activate your license. You must log-in to accept their invitation.
  • See directions on how to print your license.

License expiration

  • Your broker's license will expire 2 years after it's issued.
  • The fingerprint background check results will expire 6 years from the date we receive them.
    • Be sure to re-submit prints before they expire. Allow enough time for us to get your results.
    • If your results expire you won’t be able to:
      • Join a firm.
      • Re-activate after being inactive.
      • Renew your license.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. For more information visit military assistance.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. For more information, visit Get paid back for test fees.

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon