How to get your license: Shops, mobile units, and event locations
We have a new online service for managing professional and business licenses. Learn how to set up account access and manage your license
. If you need help with the new service, please contact your professional licensing program
We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Who needs a license?
Every shop or mobile unit that provides tattooing, body art, or body piercing must have a license. Conventions or events in Washington State must have an event license and meet the same requirements as shops and mobile units.
See the laws and rules for tattoo, body piercing, and body art permanent cosmetic artists.
To get a shop, mobile unit, or event license, your business must:
- Have an outside entrance separate from any rooms used for sleeping or residential purposes.
- Have adequate toilet facilities for the use of customers located in or adjacent to the shop or business.
- Not use any room, except toilet facilities, for both residential and business purposes.
- Meet the zoning requirements of the county, city, or town where the business is located.
- Provide for safe storage and labeling of all equipment and substances.
- Meet local and state fire codes.
- Have at least $100,000 in public liability insurance for combined bodily injury and property damage.
- Be registered with the Department of Revenue. You automatically register with the Department of Revenue when you file a Business License Application to get a business license.
How to apply
You'll need a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
Send the following:
When will I get my license?
We won't mail your license unless you request a printed copy. Your license is available to print online.
- We'll process your request within 14 business days. It will be available to print online at any time.
- Check your email for notifications about your license.
- See how to self-print your license.
applied by mail
- We'll process your request within 45 business days and send a copy of your license to the email address listed on the application.
- You can print your license online at any time. See how to self-print your license
Get a printed license by mail
- To get a printed license when applying by mail, you must send the license print fee with your application.
- To request a printed copy of your license, send us the following information:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Phone number
- License type
- License number
- Check or money order for the license print fee, payable to Department of Licensing
- Mail to:
Tattoo, Body Art, Body Piercing Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
How long your license is valid
Your license will expire 1 year after it is issued, or when your business liability insurance expires, whichever comes first.
All shops, mobile units, and events must meet all:
Subscribe to email updates to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.
Questions? Need help?