How to get your license: Shops, mobile units, and event locations
We have a new online service for managing professional and business licenses. Learn how to set up account access and manage your license
. If you need help with the new service, please contact your professional licensing program
We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Who needs a license?
Every shop or mobile unit that provides tattooing, body art, or body piercing must have a license. Conventions or events in Washington State must have an event license and meet the same requirements as shops and mobile units.
To get a shop, mobile unit, or event license, your business must:
- Have an outside entrance separate from any rooms used for sleeping or residential purposes.
- Have adequate toilet facilities for the use of customers located in or adjacent to the shop or business.
- Not use any room, except toilet facilities, for both residential and business purposes.
- Meet the zoning requirements of the county, city, or town where the business is located.
- Provide for safe storage and labeling of all equipment and substances.
- Meet local and state fire codes.
- Have at least $100,000 in public liability insurance for combined bodily injury and property damage.
- Be registered with the Department of Revenue. You automatically register with the Department of Revenue when you file a Business License Application to get a business license.
What you’ll need
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online
How to apply
You can apply online or by mail.
Send the following:
Tattoo, Body Art, Body Piercing Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
How long your license is valid
Your license will expire 1 year after it is issued, or when your business liability insurance expires, whichever comes first.
All shops, mobile units, and events must meet all:
Subscribe to email updates to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.
Questions? Need help?