How to get your license: Shops, mobile units, and event locations

Who needs a license?

Every shop or mobile unit that provides tattooing, body art, or body piercing must have a license. Conventions or events in Washington State must have an event license and meet the same requirements as shops and mobile units.


To get a shop, mobile unit, or event license, your business must:

  • Have an outside entrance separate from any rooms used for sleeping or residential purposes.
  • Have adequate toilet facilities for the use of customers located in or adjacent to the shop or business.
  • Not use any room, except toilet facilities, for both residential and business purposes.
  • Meet the zoning requirements of the county, city, or town where the business is located.
  • Provide for safe storage and labeling of all equipment and substances.
  • Meet local and state fire codes.
  • Have at least $100,000 in public liability insurance for combined bodily injury and property damage.
  • Be registered with the Department of Revenue. You automatically register with the Department of Revenue when you file a Business License Application to get a business license.

How to apply

  1. Complete a Body Art, Body Piercing, and Tattoo Shop, Mobile Unit, or Event Location Application.
  2. Mail your application to the address on the form. Be sure to include all of the following:
    • Completed application form.
    • Any necessary supporting documents.
    • Check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).

How long your license is valid

Your license will expire 1 year after it is issued, or when your business liability insurance expires, whichever comes first.

Business requirements

All shops, mobile units, and events must meet all:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website