Learn the requirements for serving as a CDL training provider or instructor and how to register.
Before you get started
Registration is done online through our Professional and Business Licensing Service (PBLS). You must have a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to use it. You can only access this service on a Google Chrome browser.
You may already have a SAW account if you:
- Have a License eXpress account for your driver, vehicle, or business license
- Have done business online with:
- Department of Revenue
- Department of Labor and Industries
- Employment Security Department
NOTE: Professional licenses belong to individuals. Every instructor must create their own SAW and PBLS accounts to apply or request access so they can renew their existing authorization. Each instructor is attesting to their qualifications and that they will comply with relative WACs. You can't apply or submit renewals for other people.
What you'll need to be a training provider
A training provider must offer courses that meet the state and/or federal requirements. Courses are approved if they meet a minimum number of hours in classroom instruction, street driving, backing maneuvers, proficiency development, and more.
- School Training Providers Requirements WAC 308-100-033
- Employer Training Providers Requirements WAC 308-100-035
You must renew your authorization every 2 years.
What you'll need to register as a training provider instructor
You must meet the requirements detailed in WAC 308-100-005 including CDL class and years of experience to provide behind-the-wheel or theory instruction.
How to apply
There is no fee to apply to be a CDL training provider or instructor.
- Create or log in to a SAW account
- Add the Professional Business and Licensing Service to your list of services
- Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- Select "Apply for Professional License" or "Link Existing Professional License" and follow the prompts
Step-by-step instructions for applying
Things to know
Allow us up to three weeks to process an initial application or renewal. If you do not hear back from us within three weeks, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Existing training providers (schools, employers, and instructors)
Did you register as a training provider (school, employer, or instructor) before June 29, 2020? We may already have your information.
Existing entities don't need to apply for a new registration. You'll need your prior authorization number (begins with "EM," "PU," or "PR" and an authorization code. Request a code from the PBLS following the instructions in the Create Your User Access to the Professional and Business Licensing System User Guide. You can also email email@example.com to request the code. Provide the name of the entity you’re trying to link to and the authorization number you have.
Renewing your CDL training instructor or provider authorization
You must renew your authorization through SAW.
Step-by-step instructions for renewing
Help with accessing our online service
- Create Your User Access to the Professional and Business Licensing System
- Frequently Asked Questions – SAW & MFA