New law raises plate fees starting July 1, 2022

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Who needs a CDL?

Types of vehicles that require a CDL

You must have a commercial driver license (CDL) to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
  • All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, and a combined vehicles' gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
  • All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). This includes private and church buses.
  • All school buses, regardless of size.
  • All vehicles used to transport any material that requires hazardous material placarding or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.

Occasional drivers

Occasional drivers, such as mechanics or truck salespeople who test drive the vehicles described above on a public roadway, also need a CDL and any required endorsements.

Find out if you need a CDL

The vehicles described above are divided into 3 classes – Class A, Class B, and Class C. Use the diagram below to see if you need a CDL, and what class of CDL you need. A higher-class CDL allows you to drive vehicles in any of the lower classes if you have the correct endorsements.

Flowchart from CDL Guide showing who needs a CDL and what class is required.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website