Steps to getting a Commercial Driver License
Who can apply for a CDL
- 18 years or older with a valid WA driver license check your license status. To operate commercial vehicles from state to state (interstate) you must be at least 21 years old.
- Who does not have a lifetime disqualification.
How to apply
- Make an appointment at a driver licensing office location that offers knowledge testing.
- Bring your:
- Current license
- Social Security number
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or non-domicile document. See list of approved documents) for ID purposes. We're required to verify your status under Federal law 49 CFR 383.71 and Washington State law ( ). This requirement also applies to drivers who already have a CDL.
- Self-certify the type of operation you will be conducting. Medical documents may be required.
- Pass the Knowledge test for the type of vehicle you'll be licensed to operate.
- Get a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP).
- Complete training requirements for the type of CDL you'll be issued
- Call us to schedule and pay for your skills test.
- Conduct and pass the skills test.
- Make an appointment at a driver licensing office to have the CDL issued.