Customer survey

Help us make our website better by taking this short survey.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

CDL disqualifications: Testing positive on the Department of Transportation test for drugs or alcohol

How long will my license be disqualified?

  • 10 years or until the first 2 items needed to re-qualify are met, whichever comes first, if you were a CDL holder and have been disqualified for one year or more or if you never held a CDL.
  • For life, if you have 3 positive tests within 5 years.

How do I re-qualify?

  • Have an alcohol/drug assessment by a substance abuse professional (SAP).
  • Provide evidence that you have successfully completed or participated in an approved alcohol/drug treatment or education program as recommended by the SAP.
  • Pass the Commercial Driver License (CDL) knowledge and driving tests.
  • For a hazardous materials endorsement, pass a separate knowledge test. (We also may require you to show us a letter from the Transportation Security Administration stating you passed their background check.)
  • Pay a $150 re-qualification fee and any licensing fees.

Note: You can't re-qualify from a lifetime disqualification.

Can I appeal the disqualification?

You may request a hearing within 20 days of the date on the notification letter you received from us. For more information, see How to request a hearing.

What issues will be considered at the hearing?

  • Whether you were the person who took the drug or alcohol test.
  • Whether your employer has a safety program that meets federal motor carrier requirements.
  • Whether the officer or technician who performed the test accurately followed the procedures needed to certify test results.

Related laws

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website