Our website is getting a new look! Coming Summer 2023 – stay tuned!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Collision reporting

Who files the collision report?

  • If a law enforcement officer investigates the collision
    You don't need to complete a collision report. The investigating officer will file one.
  • If no law enforcement officer investigates the collision
    Each driver involved in the collision must submit a report within 4 days of the collision. You can submit a report online or get collision report forms from your local police Department, county sheriff's office, or Washington State Patrol detachment.

How to get a copy of a collision report

If you were involved in a collision and would like a copy of the collision report you or a law enforcement officer completed, you may request a copy from the Washington State Patrol.

Collision information included on a driving record

We add the following information to the driving record of all drivers involved in collisions where there was bodily injury or at least $1,000 in property damage to any one person's property:

  • The collision date.
  • The number of vehicles involved.
  • Whether the vehicles were moving or not.
  • Whether the collision resulted in any injury or fatality.
  • Accident report number.

This information only indicates the person was involved in a collision, not who caused it.

How to report uncompensated damages from a collision with an uninsured driver

If an uninsured driver fails to pay collision damages, you may report it to us by completing a Motor Vehicle Claim for Damages within 180 days of the collision

  • To qualify, the collision must have resulted in at least $1,000 in property damages or an injury. Requests must contain copies of estimates and receipts to support what is being reported. Requests received without the required supporting document will not be processed.
  • If the uninsured driver fails to pay, we could suspend their driver license.

Related laws

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon