Change your name: EDL/EID

If you've officially changed your name and would like to update your enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EID):

  1. Update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) (
    • Bring in your new Social Security card with your updated name into the office.
  2. Visit a driver licensing office location.
  3. Show us your current EDL/EID.
  4. Show us one of the following documents to prove your name change:
    • Court order showing your change of name.
    • Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court) showing the new name or authorizing a name change.
    • Marriage certificate (including same-sex marriage certificate) that has a control or file number and has been filed with the county or authorized issuing authority. Church or wedding chapel forms aren't acceptable. To get a certified copy of a marriage certificate from:
      • The last 4 months, contact the county auditor where the license was filed.
      • January 1, 1968 - 4 months ago, order through the Center for Health Statistics (
      • Before January 1, 1968, contact the county auditor where you got the license.
  5. Pay the $10 fee.

Don't forget to update your:

Vehicle registration

You may also need to change your name on your vehicle registration. Updating your name on your driver license doesn't automatically change your name on your vehicle registration.

Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

What if I haven't received my driver license yet?

If you don't get it after 30 days, email us at

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website