Proof of U.S. citizenship, identity, Social Security number, and Washington residence for EDL/EID

You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for a Washington enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EID).

Show us all the following documents:

Acceptable documents must be original or government-certified copies, unless noted otherwise. For a checklist, see What documents do I need to get my EDL/EID?

We don't accept documents that are:

  • Photocopies
  • Printouts from websites
  • Temporary
  • Uncertified
  • Notarized
  • Altered

Proof of U.S. citizenship

Show us 1 of the following:

Proof of identity

Show us 1 of the following:

  • U.S. Passport book or card - Valid and has your signature and photo.
  • Driver license, enhanced driver license, enhanced ID, or state-issued ID card - Valid and has your signature and photo.
  • U.S. Military ID - Valid and has your photo.
  • Government employee ID - Valid city, federal, or state ID card that has your signature and photo.
  • Minors without the above - See Teens and Children.

Proof of name change

Your EDL/EID must be issued with the full legal name as it appears on the citizenship document unless accompanied with proof of name changes.

If the names on your proof of citizenship and proof of identity are different, provide document(s) for each time your name has changed:

  • Court order showing your change of name.
  • Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court) showing the new name or authorizing a name change.
  • Marriage certificate (including same-sex marriage certificate) that has been filed with the county or authorized issuing authority and has the control or file number. Church or wedding chapel forms aren't acceptable. To get a certified copy of a marriage certificate, contact the:

Example 1: You bring your birth certificate showing your birth name as Taylor Kelly Doe and your Washington driver license showing your current name as Taylor Kelly Johnson. You married twice and changed your last name from Doe to Smith, then to Johnson. You need to bring both of your marriage certificates to link your name from Doe to Johnson.

Example 2: You bring your U.S. passport and Washington driver license both showing your current name Taylor Kelly Johnson. You do not need proof of name change.

Proof of Social Security number (SSN)

Show us 1 of the following documents showing the complete SSN. Partial SSNs aren't acceptable.

  • Social Security Card
  • W-2 Form with visible SSN
  • SSA-1099 Form with visible SSN
  • Non-SSA-1099 form with visible SSN
  • Pay stub with visible SSN. Internet printouts ok.

If you change your name, notify the Social Security Administration and wait to receive your new social security card before visiting our office.

How your Social Security number is used

It's used to help enforce child support laws. We'll verify the number with the Social Security Administration. It won't appear on your EDL/EID.

Proof of Washington State residence

Documents must include your first and last name, and current Washington residential address. You can't use 2 of the same documents (e.g. 2 vehicle registrations).

  • You may use your spouse's documents with a certified marriage certificate.
  • If you are under 18 years old you may use documents in your parent or guardian's name.
  • If you are 18 to 25, you may use documents in your parent or guardian's name.
    • You must show proof of your relationship (e.g. birth certificate, adoption decree, court issued custody decree, etc.)
    • Your parent or guardian doesn't need to be present.
  • If you are 18 years old or over and are assigned a court guardian due to mental or physical limitations, you may use documents in your court assigned guardian's name.
    • You must show the court decree assigning guardianship.
    • Your assigned guardian must be with you and have valid proof of their identity.

Show us 2 of the following:

  • A WA license, ID card, or IP, not expired more than 6 years.
  • USPS change of address letter dated within 2 months.
  • WA vehicle, vessel or utility trailer registration (not a temporary vehicle registration) – unexpired.
  • WA vehicle, vessel, utility trailer, or mobile home title (not a super service title with a tamper proof tape over the VIN and title number).
  • Cell phone bill dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Electricity bill dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Gas bill dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Water/Sewer bill dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Garbage/recycling bill dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Landline telephone dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Television bill (cable or satellite) dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Internet bill dated within 2 months. Internet printouts ok.
  • Washington school transcript or report card - current or previous school year.
  • DSHS benefits letter indicating unexpired benefits (medical, food, etc.)s
  • Tribal ID – unexpired.
  • Proof of home ownership (mortgage documents, property tax documents, deed, title, online parcel viewer, etc.). Internet printouts ok.
  • Washington voter card.
  • Selective Service card.
  • Business mail from a federal or state agency, or a tribal, county, or city government entity dated within 2 months.
  • Concealed weapons permit (license to carry concealed pistol) – unexpired.
  • Home owners insurance policy – unexpired (not renters), or bill dated within 2 months.
  • Auto insurance policy – unexpired, or bill dated within 2 months.
  • Pay check or pay stub that also includes the employer's name and phone number or address - dated within 2 months, internet printouts ok.
  • Professional license (nursing, physician, engineer, pilot, etc.) – unexpired and issued by Washington State or federal entity.
  • W-2 form from an employer or 1099 issued from the previous year.
  • Moorage document (bill or contract) showing that you live aboard a boat – unexpired.
  • A letter from an alternate housing facility on company letter head with a phone number. Examples: senior housing, retirement home, assisted living facility, college campus, mission or shelter.
  • US military document issued within 1 year.
  • Washington marriage certificate issued within 1 year– certified.

Teens and children

If you are under 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian must:

  1. Come with you to the licensing office.
  2. Sign the application.
  3. Show us proof of their identity.
  4. Show us proof of their relationship to you:
    • Certified birth certificate.
    • Certified adoption document.
    • Court order naming the guardian and specifically authorizing the issuance of an EID.

    If your parent or guardian’s current name differs from the name on the proof of relationship document, bring proof of name change.

Identification document review

If we can't accept your identification documents, you may request an additional document review by speaking with the driver licensing office ID Review Specialist. If the specialist is unable to determine positive identification, we may refer your documents for further evaluation.


Your card will include a photo showing a full front view of your face.

Before we take your photo, we'll ask you to remove anything that covers your face or head (like a hat or sunglasses) so your photo will be acceptable for biometric identification. If you choose not to remove it, you won't be eligible to receive an EDL/EID.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website