Get your WA identification card
Things to know
- A standard ID card costs $54, an enhanced ID (EID) card $78. You'll need to renew it every 6 years.
- Replacing a lost or stolen ID card costs $20.
- You can get an ID/EID card at any age at any of our driver licensing office locations.
- Parents/guardians - you can get an ID/EID card for your children. Your child must be with you at the office to get it.
- Decide if you want an enhanced ID (EID) card or a standard ID card
- Find out if you can pre-apply online
- Visit a driver licensing office
- Get your ID card
1. Decide if you want an enhanced ID (EID) card or a standard ID card
An EID card is an acceptable alternative to a passport for re-entry into the U.S. at land and sea border crossings. A standard ID card can't be used for border crossings. Getting an EID card has different requirements. Go to Get your EDL/EID if you'd like an EID. If you want a standard ID card, keep reading.
2. Find out if you can pre-apply online
You may be able to save time in an office by pre-applying online. Some restrictions may apply. Find out if you can pre-apply.
3. Visit a driver licensing office
Visit an office to start your application or to finish the application you started online. At the office, you'll need to:
- Provide Proof of identity.
- Pay $54 for a standard ID card.
- Have your photo taken.
- Before we take your photo, we'll ask you to remove anything that covers your face or head, like a hat or sunglasses. We'll make exceptions for medical and religious reasons.
4. Get your ID card
You'll get your temporary ID before you leave. Keep your temporary ID with you until you receive your permanent ID which should arrive in the mail within 7–10 days. If you haven't received it after 30 days, please visit an office.
Questions? Need help?
Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)