New law raises plate fees starting July 1, 2022

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.


What is a moped?

To qualify as a moped, a vehicle:

  • Must have 2–3 wheels.
  • Must have an electric or liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement of less than 50 cc, and no more than 2 brake horsepower.
  • Can't travel faster than 30 miles per hour.
  • and
  • Must meet all the federal standards for a motor-driven cycle.


You don't need a motorcycle endorsement or auto insurance to ride a moped. However, to legally operate a moped in Washington:

  • You must have a valid driver license.
  • You must register the moped and display a valid license plate.
  • You and your passengers must wear USDOT-approved helmets.
  • You must wear eye protection if your moped doesn't have a windshield.
  • You can't ride the moped on a sidewalk, bicycle path, equestrian trail, hiking/recreational trail, or fully-controlled limited access highway.

Related laws

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website