2-Wheel (2W) motorcycle testing
You must complete a total of 4 tests to get your 2W endorsement: 2 knowledge tests, and 2 riding skills tests.
Permit Knowledge test
This test measures how well you understand:
- The rules of the road.
- How to safely operate your motorcycle.
Sample permit knowledge test questions
1. Passengers should:
- Lean as you lean.
- Hold on to the motorcycle seat.
- Sit as far back as possible.
- Never hold onto you.
2. The FRONT brake supplies how much of the potential stopping power?
- About 1/4
- About 1/2
- About 3/4
- All of the stopping power
3. To swerve correctly:
- Shift your weight quickly.
- Turn the handlebars quickly.
- Press the handgrip in the direction of the turn.
- Press the handgrip in the opposite direction of the turn.
4. If a tire goes flat while riding and you must stop, it is usually best to:
- Relax on the handle grips.
- Shift your weight toward the good tire.
- Brake on the good tire and steer to the side of the road.
- Use both brakes and stop quickly.
5. The car is waiting to enter the intersection.
It is best to:
- Make eye contact with the driver.
- Reduce speed and be ready to react.
- Maintain speed and position.
- Maintain speed and move right.
Permit riding skills test
The permit riding skills test measures your ability to operate a motorcycle legally and safely.
During the permit riding test, you'll be expected to complete the following tasks:
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 1, Cone Weave and Normal Stop (5 min, 49 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 2, Turn from a Stop and U-Turn (5 min, 18 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 3, Obstacle Swerve (4 min, 12 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 4, Quick Stop (4 min, 34 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 5, Curves (4 min, 31 sec)
After you pass both permit tests you're eligible for a 2W motorcycle instruction permit to practice riding on public highways.
Endorsement knowledge test
The endorsement knowledge test consists of 50 questions. It measures your understanding of:
- Decision-making skills
- Hazard management
Make sure you study the Motorcycle Operator Manual closely.
Endorsement riding skills test
Take time to practice for the endorsement riding skills test before attempting it. It is assessed on a pass/fail basis. During the endorsement riding skills test, you must complete the following tasks:
- A quick stop performed at approximately 20-25 mph.
- A timed figure 8 element that will assess left and right cornering skills.
Please ask your training school for details about the endorsement riding test (demonstration videos coming soon).
After you pass both the permit and endorsement knowledge and riding skills tests you’re eligible for a 2W motorcycle endorsement to ride on public highways.
How to take the tests
- Take a motorcycle safety course. Local schools, partnered with DOL, offer the knowledge and riding skills tests as part of a safety course.
- You may also take the knowledge and riding skills tests at any motorcycle training school.
Questions? Need help?