If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Change your name: Driver licenses and ID cards

If you've officially changed your name and want it on your driver license or ID card, you must:

  1. Update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) (ssa.gov).
    • Bring your new Social Security card with your updated name into the office.
  2. Make an appointment to visit a driver licensing office and bring:
    • Payment for the fee.
    • Proof of identity:
      • A stand-alone or A-list document with your new name on it.
      • or
      • One of the following documents:
        • Marriage certificate or license (filed and certified by the court, not the original keepsake document)
        • Court order (filed and certified by the court)
        • Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court)
        • Original birth certificate.
        • Other court or legal actions filed and/or registered with the responsible governmental agency of the recording country, province, state, county, or city

Don't forget to update your…

Vehicle registration

You may also need to change your name on your vehicle registration. Updating your name on your driver license doesn't automatically change your name on your vehicle registration.

Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon