Pre-applying lets you to start some of the required paperwork online. At the end of the process, you’ll get your Washington (WA) state driver license, ID, or permit number, which will start with "WDL." You’ll use it online, to make an appointment at our driver licensing office, or at your driver training school.
When you should pre-apply
You need a driver license, ID, or permit number to schedule an appointment. So you should pre-apply if you:
- Have a Washington driver license or ID card and you're upgrading to an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or Enhanced ID card (EID).
- Have a WA residence street address but don't already have a WA license, permit, or ID card.
If you don't have a WA residence street address or have other address issues, call our customer service center for options: 360.902.3900.
If you’ve had a Washington driver license or ID card in the past, don’t pre-apply. Instead:
Log in or join to pre-apply online and start the process for your driver license, instruction permit, ID card, EDL or EID.
- Print or write down your WA driver license, ID, or permit number, which will begin with "WDL."
- You will need this number to schedule an appointment. Be sure to bring your identification documents with you.
- If you're taking a driver training course, give your "WDL" number to the driver training school. They'll send us a waiver electronically, which saves you a trip to our office.
- If you're getting an EDL or EID, you'll get a customized list of documents that you'll need to bring with you to our office.
- Steps to getting your first license
- Driver training schools and testing locations
- Moving? Get WA license