Learn what the requirements are and how to apply for a license to operate an auction company.
Who needs a license?
If your business:
- Sells or offers to sell goods or real estate.
- Arranges, sponsors, or manages auctions.
- Is a sole proprietorship and your sales exceed $25,000.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to get your auction company license.
1. Meet the requirements
Meet all of the auction company certificate of registration requirements.
2. Gather the necessary information
- A Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number.
- Apply for a business license if you don't have one.
- Notarized Auction Company Certification Statement.
- Surety bond with an amount depending on the gross value of the goods you sell in Washington State:
- For existing companies your gross sales during the previous calendar year.
- For new companies an estimate of your gross sales during the current year.
|Gross sales||Surety bond|
|$500,000 or more||$25,000|
3. Submit your application
Submit your application online
Submit your application by mail
Complete an Auction Company Registration Application.
Mail your application, notarized Auction Company Certification Statement, and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the application fee to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
For veterans, military personnel, and partners
Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.
If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.