Learn the requirements and how to apply for your motor vehicle wrecker license.
You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.
Who needs a license?
You must be licensed to buy or sell:
- Wrecked titled or registered motor vehicles you plan to dismantle
- Secondhand motor vehicle parts
Before you apply
Before applying for your license, you must get zoning approval for your business and an inspection of your business site.
Learn about zoning requirements
Read about zoning requirements using these links from the Department of Ecology:
Fill out the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form
Download or print the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum.
Complete section A of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
Get zoning approval
Have your local zoning authority complete and sign section B of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
Schedule an inspection
Before you apply for a license, a law enforcement officer must inspect your business site.
- If you're in a city with more than 5,000 people, contact your local police chief to schedule an inspection
- If you're in a city with less than 5,000 people, schedule an inspection with the Washington State Patrol
The inspector must complete and sign section C of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
How to apply
After you get zoning approval and your inspection is complete, follow the steps below to apply for a motor vehicle wrecker license.
Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.
1. Complete the required documents
Complete these forms to apply for your business license:
- Business License Application
- Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum (if you're applying online, you only need to complete the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form and have it signed by the appropriate authorities)
- Personal/Criminal History Statement
Use the Vehicle, Vessel, Vehicle Manufacturer, Registered Tow Truck Operator, or Wrecker Business Bond or a form from the bonding company.
You can get a bond through an insurance company. On the bond form, the principal name must be exactly the same as both the business owner and business firm name. Both you and the bonding company's attorney-in-fact must sign the form.
2. Review the checklist
Use our Salvage Processor/Motor Vehicle Wrecker Checklist and Salvage Processor/Motor Vehicle Wrecker Flow Chart to make sure you have everything ready for your application.
3. Submit your application
You must pay the motor vehicle wrecker license and plate fees to the Department of Revenue when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
After you get your license
Once you have your license, you must:
- Sign up to search for vehicle registration information
- Report the vehicles you acquired in the previous month on the 10th of each month