Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrids Washington State Tax Exemptions
On August 1, 2019, Washington State reinstated the sales and use tax exemption for the sales of:
- Vehicles powered by a clean alternative fuel.
- Certain plug-in hybrids.
The exemption applies to dealer and private sales of new, used, and leased vehicles sold on or after August 1, 2019.
- New vehicle transactions must not exceed $45,000 in purchase price or lease payments.
- Used vehicles transactions must not exceed $30,000 in fair market value or lease payments.
These thresholds may also include the value of your trade-in, if applicable.
If the cost of a new vehicle is $48,000, and the value of your trade-in is worth $6,000, you can't receive the tax exemption. Even though the trade-in brought the cost down to $42,000, the new vehicle was still worth over the $45,000 limit. You cannot use a trade-in to lower the price of a vehicle to meet the exemption limits.
- The current list of qualifying vehicles
- Frequently asked questions: Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrids Tax Exemptions
- Electric vehicle population and transaction interactive data sets
Questions? Need help?
Call DOR's Tax Assistance line: 360.705.6705