Want a friendly reminder? Sign up to get an email when your vehicle tabs and boat decals are due.

Change your name: Vehicles & boats

If you've changed your name, you must update your vehicle or boat record.

  • Changing your name on 1 vehicle doesn't automatically change it on other vehicles or boats.
  • If you have a loan/lien on your vehicle or boat you must change your name through the lienholder and not the Department of Licensing.
  • To change the name on your driver license, see Change your name on your driver license or ID card.

How to change your name on your vehicle or boat

  1. Get all of the following:
  2. Submit your forms and documents:

How to change the business name on a company vehicle

  1. Get all of the following:
    • Current Washington title for the vehicle — not a copy.
    • A copy from the Secretary of State's Office showing you've changed your company name.
    • A Declaration of Use Tax form from the Department of Revenue.
    • A copy of the business license in the new business name with the same UBI number.
    • A Vehicle Title Application (English, Español, Русский, and more).
  2. Submit your forms and documents:
Options and fees
Type of document Fee When you'll get it
Available at any vehicle licensing office.
$14.50 Given to you immediately.
Name change: Regular title
Available at any vehicle licensing office.
$35.50 — Vehicles
$26.75 — Boats
Mailed to you in 8–10 weeks.
Name change: Quick Title
Available only at Quick Title offices.
Quick titles aren't available for vehicles or boats:
  • Reported stolen.
  • As insurance or wrecker destroyed.
  • With a "WA rebuilt" on the title.
$85.50 — Vehicles
$76.75 — Boats
Mailed or given to you immediately.

Don't forget to update your Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

Good To Go! outage starting July 2, 2021

The Good To Go! website and call center will be offline for 2 weeks while it moves to a new system. During this time, you can’t manage your Good To Go! account or speak with customer service. WSDOT will still collect tolls during the outage.

Read more about the Good To Go! system upgrade.

Terms we use

Record: This is the information we have on your vehicle: your name, address, endorsements, restrictions, etc.

Title: This is your proof of ownership. It's issued when you purchase your vehicle. You want to keep this in a safe place and not in the vehicle.

Registration: When you renew your tabs each year, you receive a new registration document to sign and keep in your vehicle.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website