How to get your license and decals: IFTA
Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.
Save a trip! Most services are available through TAP - PRFT Taxpayer Access Point.
The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among states and Canadian provinces (except Alaska, Hawaii, Yukon, and Northwest Territories) that standardizes the reporting of fuel use taxes by motor carriers operating in more than 1 member state or province. This license is managed in Washington State by the Department of Licensing, Prorate and Fuel Tax Services, Motor Carrier Services unit.
For more information about IFTA, current tax rate schedules, jurisdiction rates for each state and province, manuals, off-road miles, updates and requirements, visit IFTA, Inc.
Online system – TAP
Prorate and Fuel Tax (PRFT) has an online system, TAP – PRFT Taxpayer Access Point. TAP allows you to manage your accounts, file returns, file amended returns, make payments, and purchase decals. Learn more about this system by registering in TAP and creating your online account.
Requirements for a license
To qualify for an IFTA license you must:
- be based in Washington with a physical address located in Washington
- operate qualified vehicles in 2 or more states or provinces and meeting at least 1 of the following requirements:
- commercial vehicles over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW); or
- vehicles with 3 or more axles regardless of weight; or
- combination vehicles over 26,000 pounds GVW (does not include recreational vehicles)
- have an active UBI number registered with Secretary of State's office unless you are a sole proprietor
- register with the Department of Revenue (DOR) for a UBI if you are a sole proprietor, Corporation, or LLC
- register for a United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA)
- complete an IFTA Application for a license and IFTA Decal Application including payment
Applying for a license
There are 3 ways to apply and pay for a license:
- Online through TAP.
- By mail, print the IFTA Application and IFTA Decal Application.
- In person at a field office.
You must file an IFTA Decal Application annually to order a set of 2 decals, for each qualified vehicle, ($10 a set). Each qualified vehicle is required to post 1 decal on each side of the vehicle. Decals are valid from January 1 to December 31 per year. Review current requirements and restrictions on the IFTA, Inc. website. Existing account holders will receive a renewal decal application during the 4th quarter. Decals for the following year can be displayed on beginning November 1 of the current year.
How to get decals
Complete an IFTA Decal Application. You can complete the application via TAP, or submit the application and payment by mail to the address in the Mailing section of the form, or bring the completed application to one of our field offices.
|Washington IFTA license (issued with each paid set of decals)||No fee|
|IFTA decals||$10 per set of 2 decals|
With a TAP account, you may complete documents and payment electronically. If mailing, use the following addresses:
For mail with payment enclosed:
Prorate and Fuel Tax Services
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048
For mail with documents only and no payments:
Prorate and Fuel Tax Services
PO Box 9228
Olympia, WA 98507-9228
How to change your address
To update your IFTA account or service bureau address, access your TAP account or mail a completed IFTA Change of Address with required attachments.
- Current tax rate schedules and IFTA manuals (www.iftach.org)
- Reports and data: IFTA Special Authorization licensees
- How to file and manage your IFTA tax returns
- Record keeping information