Replace a title

Things to know

  • You can replace your title if it gets lost or damaged, fees vary.
  • If you're still making payments, the lienholder must apply for the title.
  • Titles are mailed within 8–10 weeks. If you need it sooner, apply for a Quick Title. See below for details.

How to replace a title

  1. Complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest form.
  2. Have all of the registered owners sign the form and get it notarized.
  3. Mail or bring the completed form and fee to an office:
    • Vehicle licensing office — title mailed to you within 8–10 weeks:
      • Vehicle replacement titles cost $31.
      • Trailer replacement titles cost $31.
      • Boat replacement titles cost $17.25. Some offices charge an additional $12 service fee for boats.
    • or
    • Quick Title office — mailed or given to you immediately:
      • Vehicle replacement titles cost $81.
      • Trailer replacement titles cost $81.
      • Boats cost $67.25 and may be charged an additional $12 service fee.
      • You can't get Quick Titles for:
        • Vehicles or boats reported stolen.
        • Insurance or wrecker destroyed vehicles and boats.
        • Vehicles with a "WA rebuilt" on the title.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website