If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Salvaged vehicles

Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.

What is a salvage vehicle?

A salvage vehicle is a vehicle that:

  • Has been damaged to the extent that it has been declared a total loss.
  • and
  • The vehicle's registered or legal owner, insurance company, or another person acting on behalf of the owner has determined it wouldn't be economical to repair.

For a complete definition, see RCW 46.04.514.

How to report a salvage vehicle

If your vehicle is destroyed or declared a total loss, either you or your insurance company must report that the vehicle has been declared salvage and surrender the title to us.

  • The registered or legal owner must surrender the title within 15 days of the vehicle's destruction.
  • The insurance company must surrender the title within 15 days of settlement of the claim.

To report a salvage vehicle and surrender the title to us, write "Destroyed" and the date the vehicle was salvaged across the face of the title and mail it to us at:

Department of Licensing
PO Box 9038
Olympia, WA 98501

For more details about reporting a salvage vehicle, see RCW 46.12.600

Options for salvage vehicle owners

If your vehicle is declared a total loss, you may:

  • Sell the vehicle to a new owner (include the Notice of Cancellation letter and a notarized bill of sale).
  • Keep the vehicle and repair it.
  • Keep the vehicle without repairing it.
  • Use the vehicle for parts.

To learn more about each of these options, see Destroyed Vehicle Information.

Frequently asked questions

Can a vehicle that is declared salvage still be legally driven?

No. The vehicle can't legally be driven or parked on public highways or roads until a new title has been issued.

Will I receive a rebuilt brand on the car if I salvage it?

If we reissue a title on the car, it may be branded as "WA REBUILT" if it:

  • Is 5 years old or newer.
  • or
  • Meets the "market value threshold" criteria:
    • It's 6-20 years old.
    • It's a passenger vehicle, light-duty truck, or sport utility vehicle (SUV).
    • and
    • It had a retail value of $10,430 or more before being destroyed, damaged, wrecked, or declared a total loss.

What do I need for a Release of Interest?

Before we can remove the legal owner an owner-retained vehicle you need to provide:

  • notarized Release of Interest/Power of Attorney
  • one of the following:
    • notarized statement
    • receipt from the legal owner that the debt is satisfied
    • canceled check stating the debt was paid in full

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon