If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your instructor license: School graduate

Licensing requirements

To get your instructor license you must:

  • Have a current Washington cosmetology, barber, manicurist, esthetician, hair design, or master esthetician license before enrolling in an instructor program.
  • Graduate from a school approved and licensed by us with the minimum required hours.
  • Pass the state approved practical and written examinations administered by D.L. Roope.

How to apply

  1. Once you're eligible to schedule your exams, your school or apprentice program will create an account for you. You'll receive a  confirmation email with your username and password.
  2. Follow the instructions in the email to schedule and pay for your exams.
  3. After you pass the exams, you'll need to log into your account to apply and pay for your license.

For more details about the practical and written exams, visit dlroope.com.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. For more information visit military assistance.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. For more information, visit Get paid back for test fees.

If you have a license in another state

If you apply for a WA license, it won't affect your license in another state. To learn how to get a WA license if you have a valid license in another state, see How to get your instructor license.

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon