If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Administering driver license exams at your school

How to apply

If you're a main school location and want to conduct knowledge and/or skills exams you must first meet the requirements, see:

  • WAC 308-110: Administration of knowledge and skills testing by driver training schools.
  • WAC 308-108: Driver training schools.
  • School must have a Master Examiner, Certified Examiner (or Knowledge Examiner if school is wanting to only administer the Knowledge exam).
  • Be a licensed Driver Training School and actively providing classroom and/or behind the wheel instruction at your school.
  • Have the required insurance coverage of $1,000,000 per occurrence for vehicles, premises, and errors & omissions.
  • Call the DTS program at 360.902.3703 to verify that your school have met the requirements.

After you've met our requirements, you'll need to send us all of the following:

  • Request to Administer Driver License Examinations — Completed by the main school location or school district.
  • Driver Training School Driver License Examiner Roster — List all certified examiners who will conduct exams at your schools (certified examiners and master examiners).
  • Driver Training Schools Examinations Site Information — List all branch locations (including high schools) where you will conduct exams.
  • Driver Training Schools Examinations Staff Roster — List all authorized staff that will access training materials. They can't conduct exams or instructions.
  • At least 2 test routes for skills exams with turn by turn instructions, see Section 6 of the Instructor Examiner's Guidelines and Requirements located in the DTS SAW portal under the Training tab.
  • A copy of your most recent completed class roster, student records and behind the wheel forms if you are conducting teenage courses. If you are only instructing adults please provide a copy of all behind the wheel and classroom records for the previous month (additional records may be requested by DOL).
  • Your school's examination policies that include: The Department's authorization to re-test, exam requirements, exam fees, refund policy, retesting policies, and complaint/grievance procedure.

Once your information has been processed and approved, you will receive correspondence from our program with further instructions.

Exams is the final examinations a student takes to get their driver license (knowledge and skills). Skills exam is the driving portion of their examination.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website