Professional development requirements: Funeral directors, embalmers, and interns
You must meet the board policy on professional development to renew your license. You must:
- Have 5 hours of professional development each year.
- The education must include at least 1 hour of OSHA training. AIDS education is no longer required.
- Qualifying activities become eligible for credit when completed.
- Professional development activities aren’t preapproved by the board. You’re responsible to seek out qualifying activities that can be demonstrated as relevant.
- Certify you have completed the required professional development when you renew your license.
- Keep records of your professional development. You don’t need to provide them to us unless you’re audited. See professional development audits for more information.
Acceptable professional development activities
Professional development activities must:
- Be relevant to the practice of your profession (funeral directing or embalming), and may include technical, ethical, or managerial content.
- Have a clear purpose and objective that will maintain, improve, or expand skills and knowledge relevant to the practice of the profession.
Examples of qualifying activities (1 hour of activity = 1 professional development hour):
- Attendance at a professional development seminar.
- Attendance at a Funeral and Cemetery Board meeting.
- Attendance at an industry conference.
- Publication of a book you wrote related to funeral service.
- Completion of books, recordings, or videos that add to the skills and knowledge of the profession.
Questions? Need help?
- Email us: email@example.com
- Call us: 360.664.1555