Alternative education requirements: Funeral directors
We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Alternative education requirements
If you don’t have an Associates of Arts degree in Mortuary Science, you must pass college-level courses at:
- A regionally accredited school, college, or university.
- Another accredited association approved by the board.
The courses must meet all the following requirements:
- You must complete 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits with a 2.0 grade point average or grade C or better.
- The required courses must include the following subjects:
- 1 course in psychology
- 1 course in mathematics
- 2 courses in English composition
- 2 courses in social science (subjects with an * can apply as both a social science and a behavioral science course):
- American Cultural Studies
- American Indian Studies
- Asian American Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Forest Resources
- Human Services
- International Studies
- Political Science
- Social Studies
- Social Work
- Speech Communications
- Urban Design and Planning
- Women Studies
- 3 courses selected from any of the following subjects:
- Public speaking
- Business administration and management
- Computer science
- First aid
- Behavioral sciences:
- Liberal Studies
- Women Studies
- Credits may be earned at more than 1 college to satisfy the total number required.
A diploma or certificate from a mortuary school whose curriculum doesn't equal at least 60 semester or 90 quarter hours doesn't meet Washington's education requirements.