Frequently asked questions: Scrap metal businesses
Will I need a license to collect and sell empty aluminum cans?
You won't need any of the scrap metal licenses with the Department of Licensing, but you may need a business license with the Department of Revenue. We recommend you to find out if you need one.
Can I buy non-vehicle scrap metal if I already have a vehicle wrecker, hulk hauler, or salvage processor license?
No, those licenses allow you to acquire metal as part of a vehicle. A scrap metal processor, recycler, or supplier license is a needed to buy non-vehicle scrap metal.
Will I need to have more than 1 license if I recycle and process scrap metal?
No, the licenses are tiered:
- A processor can act as a processor, recycler, or supplier.
- A recycler can act as recycler or supplier.
- A supplier can act only as a supplier.
- Local authorities for approval of scrap metal businesses (contacts for approval of your license addendum)
- Laws and rules (new legislation and rulemaking activity)
- News updates
- Contact us